NMPED Home :: PED A to Z Directory :: Contact Us

Constituent Services
Frequently Asked Questions about the New Mexico Public Education Department


  • Are my certifications in another state valid in New Mexico?

New Mexico offers reciprocity for teaching and administrative licenses.

To be licensed for teaching under reciprocity, you must possess a bachelor’s and/or a master’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university; possess a current valid and standard certificate/license from another state/country; provide proof of having completed an approved teacher education program (if the program is not contained on a transcript, you must provide documented evidence of the program you completed); provide proof of passage of a teacher competency exam for that out-of-state/country certificate/license; and provide evidence of having satisfactorily taught under that out-of-state certificate/license from the school and/or supervisor where you taught.

For reciprocity for an administrative license from other states and/or countries, you are required to have a master’s degree, provide a current administrative and any teaching licenses, have completed approved administrative and teacher education programs and provide verification of seven years of teaching and/or administrative experience.

For additional information, please contact the Licensure Bureau at the following:  LicensureUnit@state.nm.us.

  • For additional information, please contact the Licensure Bureau at




Please click here to report any missing or incorrect information.