NMPED Home :: PED A to Z Directory :: Contact Us

Constituent Services
Frequently Asked Questions about the New Mexico Public Education Department


  • I have a bachelor’s or higher degree but have not been trained as a teacher.  Can I teach while working on completing the teacher training program?

Yes.  The PED offers internship teaching licenses if you are participating in a New Mexico alternative program, a post-BA licensure program or a master’s program in teacher education.

Please note that internship licenses are “pre-Level 1” licenses.  For additional information, please visit the Licensure Webpage at:  http://www.ped.state.nm.us/Licensure/faq.html#Internship or e-mail the Licensure Bureau at:  LicensureUnit@state.nm.us.




Please click here to report any missing or incorrect information.