NMPED Home :: PED A to Z Directory :: Contact Us

Constituent Services
Frequently Asked Questions about the New Mexico Public Education Department

School Records

Please contact the school district that you attended to obtain your records.  If you are unsure of the district, please follow this link to our NM Educational Personnel Directory and look at the district map on the first page to determine what district you attended. 

Here is the link:  http://www.ped.state.nm.us/resources/personneldirectory/fullDirectoryPackage.pdf#pagemode=bookmarks

The district contact information is also in this directory starting on page 25.

Under state rule (available by clicking http://www.nmcpr.state.nm.us/nmac/parts/title01/01.020.0002.htm), all public schools and public school districts must retain transcript records, even when a school closes.  The rule includes the following:       STUDENT CUMULATIVE EDUCATION RECORD FILE

D.        Retention:

(1)     Transcript.  Cumulative achievement record equivalent for elementary and secondary school including information on school entry, withdrawal, graduation, subjects taken, grades received, high school proficiency exam score etc.:  90 years after date of high school graduation or 90 years after student concerned would normally have graduated from high school, whichever applies.
If you attended school at a non-public, alternative, or private school, those records are only transferred to the closest public school district if the school elects to do so upon closing.  If the public school district does not have the records, there is nothing the state can do to assist in finding those records.  If you have any additional questions about alternative education programs, policy, etc. please contact our Charter School Division at 827-6909.



Back to FAQs