New Mexico - Public Education Department

Dual Credit Administrators FAQ
  Are all high school students eligible for Dual Credit?
As noted in New Mexico Administrative Code (NMAC), "...the state will provide equal opportunities to all public high school students who wish to participate in the Dual Credit program". It is up to the district and college/university administrators to determine the academic standing of eligible Dual Credit students based on their IEP or Next Step Plan, readiness and academic/career goals. Some courses may require attainment of a minimum score on the college's placement test. Of course, eligibility is also subject to fiscal limitations, as well as any limitations or restrictions set out in the Dual Credit rule (6.30.7 NMAC) and statute (21-1-1.2 NMSA 1978).

  Is there Dual Credit information for students?
Yes. It is available on the Dual Credit website at

  Where can I find a list of higher education Dual Credit contacts?
On the Dual Credit Council page ( HED DualCreditCouncil2011.pdf) or the Dual Credit Master Agreement appendix for your LEA and postsecondary.

Dual Credit Master Agreement

  Are pre-2008-2009 Dual Credit Memoranda of Agreements still valid?
No. The Dual Credit Program (as per statute and rule) calls for the creation of a new master agreement that: specifies eligible courses, academic quality of Dual Credit courses, student eligibility, course approval, course requirements, required content of the Dual Credit request form, state reporting, liabilities of parties, and student appeals; and states the roles, responsibilities, and liabilities of the district, the postsecondary institution, student, and the student's family. Visit the Dual Credit website for the Agreement.

With the exception of the Appendix, the agreement may not be altered or modified by either party. The agreement shall automatically renew for additional fiscal years unless either party notifies the other party of their intent not to renew 60 days before the end of the fiscal year. Districts, in collaboration with postsecondary institutions, may modify the list of Dual Credit courses in the Appendix of the agreement at the end of each semester prior to its application for which the appendix is modified. Modifications shall be submitted to the New Mexico Higher Education Department and the Public Education Department by the end of each semester. The Statewide Dual Credit Master Agreement template is available on the Dual Credit website.

  To what extent can districts sign Dual Credit agreements with multiple postsecondary institutions?
Districts may sign agreements with the community college assigned to their Geographic Area of Responsibility (GAR) and any four-year institution for face-to-face classes. Community colleges offering Dual Credit to districts within the service area have the first right of refusal for Dual Credit courses. If the district wishes to provide Dual Credit courses through distance learning the district may sign agreements with any institution of higher education eligible to participate in the Dual Credit program, regardless of the location of that institution. See the Geographic Areas of Responsibility administrative rule, 5.2.4 NMAC.

  Can charter schools enter into their own agreements with colleges/universities?
State Charter schools have their own Master Agreements with postsecondary institutions. District Charter schools fall under the Master Agreement of their district; however, they may also create Master Agreements with postsecondary institutions to meet the needs of their charter.

  Where should completed agreements be sent?
As per rule, PED is the designated recipient of fully-executed agreements: Email a .pdf of the signed agreement, along with a .doc or .xls copy of the appendix to Donna Grein via the Dual Credit Master Agreement mailbox at to facilitate NMHED and PED review and posting on the Dual Credit web page.

Please contact Donna Grein at or 505-827-6565 if you need guidance on the electronic submission of your Master Agreement.

  Under what circumstances will NMHED and PED request Master Agreement resubmission?
On four grounds: If the agreement text is modified—the district and college/university names should only appear at the top of the first page and on the signature page, not within the text of the agreement, which may not be modified as per rule. If the Appendix is incomplete, whether an older version was used or information is missing from the required format. If the Appendix includes ineligible courses. If inappropriate signatures are received. Given the district and college level of responsibility for Dual Credit, NMHED and PED expect district superintendents, charter school and state-supported administrators and college/university presidents (or their designees) to sign Agreements.

  What fund does a LEA use to pay the Dual Credit tuition?
As per rule (See section G of NMAC), colleges and universities waive tuition and student general fees for the Dual Credit Program.

Eligible Courses

  Can students take remedial or developmental courses for Dual Credit?
No. Statute requires that Dual Credit courses be academic or career technical in nature, which means they must apply toward a degree or certificate program. Remedial and developmental courses may not be taken for Dual Credit, since they do not count toward a degree or certificate program.

  Can students take PE courses for Dual Credit?
No. PE activity classes like Yoga, Basketball, and Weight Lifting are specifically not eligible for Dual Credit. However, there may be classes taught by the college or university that are in the Physical Education department that are not considered activity classes like Nutrition or Sports Management.

  Are Advanced Placement courses eligible for Dual Credit?
No. Although Advanced Placement (AP) and Dual Credit courses are both advanced curricular options for high school students, AP and Dual Credit courses are mutually exclusive.

The College Board has strict guidelines on AP course offerings and annually certifies high school teachers to teach AP courses. AP courses are high school courses that may be eligible for college credit if and when the high school student takes an AP exam and obtains a score of at least three (out of five). Furthermore, each student must formally send AP scores to the college/university they are interested in; the college/university then determines if the student will receive college credit. Some institutions require scores of four or five to be accepted for credit. AP courses are offered over the length of the school year. Dual credit courses are college courses offered by a postsecondary institution. Whether the student receives college credit for the course is contingent on a passing grade. Dual credit courses are offered over the course of semesters or trimesters.

  We have received the Appendix of eligible Dual Credit courses from our partner college/university and it contains their complete catalog of lower division courses; does the district have to accept all courses listed?
No. The Appendix of eligible Dual Credit courses should be developed collaboratively between your district and the college/university. Districts have equal say in what courses are offered to their students. The Appendix should not contain every lower division course in a college/university catalog and it should reflect district needs.

  Can colleges and universities offer core high school courses for Dual Credit?
Yes. Colleges and universities, with LEA agreement, may offer Dual Credit courses for core high school courses. Please note, all Dual Credit courses, whether core or elective, must meet or clearly build upon PED standards and benchmarks.

  Can districts and colleges/universities submit appeals for course transcripting ratios?
No. As per rule, the Dual Credit transcripting ratio is 3:1; that is, three college credit hours to one high school unit.

  In the Appendix of eligible Dual Credit courses, what is expected in the "location" column?
Because NMHED and PED are using the Appendix of eligible courses as one of the sources of information for its annual reporting requirements, it is important to be specific. Possible locations include, but are not limited to: High School, College/University, distance learning, other, or a combination thereof.

Dual Credit Online

  What is IDEAL-NM?
IDEAL-NM stands for Innovative Digital Education and Learning in New Mexico. IDEAL-NM provides eLearning services to New Mexico P-12 schools, colleges and universities and government agencies by:
  • collaborating with New Mexico schools in providing online courses that expand educational opportunity for all students.
  • working with Regional Education Cooperatives in facilitating eLearning best-practices training for member schools.
  • implementing a shared eLearning infrastructure using a single statewide Learning Management System, Web Conferencing System, and Help Desk for P-12 schools, colleges and universities, and government agencies.
  • providing professional development courses for teachers, and training courses for government agency employees.
  • promoting statewide sharing of other educational resources, including subject matter expertise, instructional content and support services.
  • coordinating with other statewide technology initiatives.
Contact IDEAL-NM at or 505-383-2400. For more information, go to the IDEAL-NM website at

  Who should I contact to develop an online Dual Credit course?
Prospective eTeachers and online course developers may contact. Amy Jaramillo, Curriculum and Instructional Director, at or (505) 383-2406.

  Is there a list of Dual Credit courses available online?
Dual Credit Master Agreements between postsecondary institutions and LEAs are posted on the Dual Credit webpage, the appendices of which list the eligible Dual Credit courses and locations. IDEAL-NM provides a catalog of online courses that can be sorted based on a variety of fields, but these courses must appear in the Master Agreement appendices submitted by LEAs.

Data Collection and Reporting

  When should institutions of higher education submit the DEAR Dual Credit file to the New Mexico Higher Education Department?
At the end of each semester: March 2 for fall; June 15 for spring; October 30 for summer. Please call Dina Advani at 505-476-8408 for a list of the Dual Credit file data elements and guidance on this topic.

  How will NMHED calculate the tuition credit offset for Dual Credit courses?
See the NMHED Institutional Finance Procedure for Tuition Revenue Credit and refer to Section D: Methodology for language pertaining to Dual Credit. Please call David Hadwiger at 505-476-8430 or Debbie Garcia at 505-476-8407 if you need more information.

  Should Dual Credit student credit hours (SCHs) be categorized as restricted or unrestricted credits?
The Dual Credit SCHs should be reported as unrestricted Instruction and General (I&G) in order for them to be picked up in the formula (especially for the tuition credit calculation; see the previous FAQ). 5.3.12 NMAC defines "unrestricted credits" as student credit hours earned in a course offered for academic credit for which the faculty salary is paid by funds from the regular instruction and general sources and for which the student cost is the regular, on-campus tuition.

  What role does the Dual Credit Request form play in data collection and reporting?
The Dual Credit Request Form represents the financial commitment colleges and universities need to receive the tuition credit revenue offset. Colleges and universities must ensure the forms contain required information in order to count those students in their enrollment reporting. Districts must ensure each form contains the required student information as well as secondary school approval.

  What goes in the Student Identification Number field on the Dual Credit Request form?
Districts are responsible for entering the nine-digit, PED-issued student identification number (also known as the "STARS ID") on each Dual Credit Request Form to allow the state to match students in both the public and higher education data systems. The FERPA Release section of the Dual Credit Request Form must be signed by both the student and parent (unless the student is over 18 years of age) in order to allow districts, colleges and universities collect and report Dual Credit data to the state.


  Can an institution of higher education offer college credit to home school or private school students?
Yes, but the Dual Credit statute and administrative rules do not apply. According to 6.30.7 NMAC, home school and private school students who meet the eligibility criteria may receive both high school and college credit, provided that the student pays the full cost of the college courses. Non public, non-BIE-funded school students taking college courses for both high school and college credit shall be considered as being concurrently enrolled by the college/university for the purposes of data reporting.

  Can an institution of higher education offer college credit to tribal (BIE-funded) high school students?
Yes, the provisions of 2010's House Bill 90 expand the Dual Credit Program to New Mexico BIE-funded high school students and tribal colleges.

  Can an institution of higher education waive student course specific fees?
While the Dual Credit statute and administrative rules specify that students are responsible for course-specific fees, institutional governing boards may elect to waive this cost.

  Must the Dual Credit textbooks be on the state-approved list for public schools?
No. Since Dual Credit courses are college courses, they do not need to be on the state-approved list.

  How will PED allocate textbook funds to districts?
PED received approximately $1M for distribution to districts to cover Dual Credit textbook costs in the past. PED allocated the district entitlement for 2010-2011 based on prior year funding. To receive Dual Credit instructional materials funding, districts are required to complete their Request for Reimbursement forms and receive approval from the Dual Credit Program Manager via OBMS. Please see the Dual Credit Instructional Materials FAQ on the Dual Credit web page for more information.

For the 2011-12 school year, just over $800,000 was approved for Dual Credit instructional materials reimbursement. These funds will be allocated based on the 2010-11 STARS Dual Credit data received.

  I have a student who wants to participate in Dual Credit in the fall. She is presently attending a private Catholic high school, but in the fall will be enrolled in a charter school. Can you tell me if students who attend private high schools are assigned STARS ID numbers?
A student who attends private school, and who has not attended a public school previously, will not have a STARS ID until he/she is enrolled in a public school.

  I have a high school student enrolled through a program called Graduate New Mexico. She is 42 years of age and wants to sign up for Dual Credit courses. Are adult students such as this one eligible for Dual Credit, and is there an age requirement? Provided that the student meets the LEA and IHE requirements for the selected Dual Credit course(s) he/she qualifies under the Dual Credit Program; there is no age limitation in statute or rule. Dual Credit students may not have a high school diploma or GED. NMAC notes that the Uniform Master Agreement "specifies the means by which the state will provide equal opportunities to all public high school students who wish to participate in the Dual Credit program". Further, there is no age limitation to students who participate in the Graduate New Mexico program. Adult students such as this one are eligible for Dual Credit, and there are no age requirements at this time
  Who should I contact if this FAQ does not address my question(s)?
Please address inquiries to the Dual Credit Council:

"Public school" means New Mexico public, charter, and state-supported schools.
  Office of the Governor of New Mexico Sunshine Portal US Department of Education Teach NM Score
Follow Us on Twitter Follow Us on Facebook